September is Sports Eye Safety and Injury Prevention month. With the start of the school year I thought this was a perfect topic to bring to everyones attention.
As the school year begins, we are so consumed with getting folders, backpacks, and new shoes for sports that we often forget about protective eyewear. Below are some interesting statistics and facts about sports eye injuries in children and why you should consider protective eye wear:
- More than 600,000 eye injuries related to sport and recreation occur each year.
- More then 90% of all eye injuries can be prevented by protective eyewear.
- One in eighteen college athletes will sustain an eye injury each season.
- Eye injuries are the leading cause of blindness in children.
- Most childhood eye injuries occur in children aged 11-14.
- Most sport-related eye injuries are caused by blunt objects.
- The American Academy of Ophthalmology states eye wear should be mandatory for children participating in athletic events.
Remember, we use our eyes every waking second. They are worth protecting! Stop in at one of our Optical departments where we can help protect your children.
Paula, Surgical Coordinator, Milwaukee Eye Care